Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Don't Get Around Duets + All Blues idea

Here are two duets of Don't Get Around. The first one I recorded and played along with, sorry about the distorted left channel... The second one I played seperately with a click and then put them together.
I also worked on an idea for All Blues. I have played it a lot as a 4/4 funk version(on drums that is...) So I'm working on getting a 4/4 groove on vibes for the trio gig I'm doing(with sax and bass). It's actually only G7 that I'm playing. I'm probably gonna play something like this as an intro. I still have to work out something for the theme.

Here are the files:

Don't Get Around 1
Don't Get Around 2
Myxolydian sketches...

3 comments:

Tony said...

listening to duets. man they sound good. what you should do is isolate the solo track and listen to that, listen to your lines. record yourself playing the milt solo with no accomp. listen to his lines. study and compare.

now do a version where you'll just play monophonically. no chords and make an arrangement. i'll make an mp3 up and talk about that as well as talk about comping ideas. but you're sounding better and better. i mean it's sounding like the language. alot of your lines are more chordal based. know what i mean? now we need to work more on building cool lines 'sideways'. i'll email you the mp3 and talk more about it but i'm sure you already have an idea of what i mean from our past talks.

next comping, sounds good, now we just build in top of it. remember the better your lines get the better your comping will get.

also working on just one tune for this long is really great. that's how you learn. and if you have plenty of stuff to play on this tune then you have plenty to play on 100's of others because this is soooo similar to many other tunes.

more to come, i'll email an mp3 asap.

Tony said...

p.s. did that refund we've talked about for august

Tjaco Oostdijk said...

Hey Tony,

I'll isolate the solo tracks and see what I like and don't like about my playing. I already have some general idea of it though.
When I listen to myself it feels that my timing sounds like "humpty-dumpty-dumpty-dum"... now what I mean... It sounds a little corny. When I think about it and listen for spots that sound better I come to the conclusion that it is not actually my timing but even more the flow of the line that makes it sound corny. There are spots where I steal some of Milt's tricks and there my timing sounds better.
I've been thinking about this and my idea is that if you know where you're line is going, it makes the whole thing sound better. So maybe you could call this forward momentum...? Any way, just some thoughts.
I'll record the two milt solos without acc. ok?
Looking forward to your mp3...

cu

Tjaco