Tuesday, August 14, 2007

new update on stuff I'm doing

Hi Everyone,

Here's another update of what I've been doing the last week.

Technique:
Still doing the same stuff. So white note scales, major scales, major modes, mel. minor modes(1 a day) and some arpeggio's and 4-mallet stuff. BUT, I've been slowing things down a little and practicing with metronome. I don't go faster untill I'm really comfortable playing at a certain tempo...

Songs etc...

I've been working on:

Don't Get Around: just soloing
Bluesette: mel + chords in different keys
Milt's solos in different keys
I loves you porgy: working on the lead sheet(transcribing)
St. Thomas: soloing over it

And I've been working a lot on the green dolphin street etude. I recorded a slow version and will upload it soon... It's still not very good. I can play some parts faster, but if I want to play the whole thing through, I really have to take it SLOW...

After I loves you porgy, I'm gonna transcribe S.K.J.

Oh yeah, I also started on a song by Dan McCarthy: Sun Chaser, I love the way he plays! Chech out his cd interwords. You can download it from itunes or get it at his own website: www.danmccarthy.net

Ok I'll upload some recordings soon...

2 comments:

Tony said...

hey,

yeah slow play slow. record something and put it up, even if it's not perfect. step one is to play the etude at a tempo you can play through!!!

i think it's good to record stuff every couple weeks. even if you don't send them to me.

do a duet with your self!

Tjaco Oostdijk said...

Hey Tony,

I did record one part of a duet of Don't Get Around. I'll Try to record the second part, ok? The only thing is that I speed up like hell... It's really bad. But I'll put it up anyway.

cu

Tjaco