Thursday, August 2, 2007

plan for a gig on the 28th of August

Ok, I got a trio gig (bass, sax, vibes) on August 28th, and I figured I'm gonna try something. I don't have a lot of gigs on vibes, because I'm not really actively looking. Also because I think I don't play very good yet... So what I normally do is play out of a realbook on the gig. But I figured it would be nice for the next gig to play everything by heart, right?
It's my gig, so I can call the tunes, so that's good.

So the plan is that I'm gonna select about 14 tunes, it's a 2 hour gig, and learn them by heart(from cd, NOT from the sheet!). And if I have time I'm also gonna try to work up some simple arrangements. So I'll post a tunes list and keep updates on my progress and then I will record the gig and post some audio on here... Also if anyone has suggstions on arrangements I would love to hear them!

Tony --> Any suggestions for some nice tunes...? I'll get started, but maybe you have some ideas...

2 comments:

Tony said...

tj,

i don't get emailed responses when you leave them here. that sucks!

what kind of gig is this? i can recommend lots of tunes.

just standards? how about i loves you porgy. that's a beautiful one.

but i guess it really depends on what 'type' of gig it is!

let me know
tony

Tjaco Oostdijk said...

Hey Tony,

That sucks that you don't get notifications... Maybe I can put your email in the notification box? I check the blog anyway so...

The gig is at a jazzfestival, so there'll be audience that's interested so we can play nice tunes. I think I wanna stick with standards.

I'll check out I loves you Porgy!