Monday, July 30, 2007

Getting stuck with the same voicings...

Yesterday(Sunday the 29th of July) I had a short practice session, so I decided to focus on just one thing.
I practiced Bluesette for 2 hrs. Most of the time I spent on soloing over the changes, but also I put some time into playing the tune just chord melody, and also just comping the changes. When I play the melody with chords it's relatively easy, because the melody follows the changes in a logical way. But the thing is, especially when I'm just comping the chords, I tend to play a lot of the same voicings for the chords. It kind a get's a little silly after a while. It feels like I'm a band-in-a-box backing track...
So... any ideas on how to get out of this chord voicing boredom...?

I figured that it's probably a good idea to play simple melodies on the changes and try to voice underneath, right?

This is also something I noticed in the duet on Don't Get Around I put up with Tony. When I comp it's a little too much of the same, but when I listen to Tony he's really moving up and down with the voicings logically and there is also a lot of melodic voicing happening.

So, just a thought, let me know what you think?

1 comment:

Tony said...

Keys. Play the tune in different keys. That 'should' help you come up with different voicings. also play in different octaves. play with only 2 mallets, play with only 3. do block chords. if you're doing block chords and voicings are the same it might mean your lines are too similar.
make physical limitations on what you're doing. that should help. only comp with the left hand. play a quarter note solo.

this should be an easy fix. i think the keys will work best. however sometimes change will come slowly. just by being aware of the problem and that fact that you're working at it usually means you'll solve it. just be a problem solver!