Friday, July 27, 2007

Thoughts

I'm glancing at your transcription:
Notice how every time at the end of the A section where you have Dm7 there's an F# in Milt's solo? That should def be setting off alarms in your head about that chord. It's a D7 not min7. cool?


If we were to make up a rule it would be: there are many ways to make min 3rds work over a maj chord. esp dominant ones (it’s the sharp 9)! it's much more rare to make a maj 3rd work over a min chord. make sense (one ex. is as a passing tone from f to Eb a realy typical bebop line)?? So that should set off flags about that chord. anyway it's a D7.


The solo is f*(*KIN' GOLD MINE of material. I bet you see that. This is one to put through all the keys!!!


Your thoroughness is really cool with the blog. Remember consistency is most important, so post what you think you can handle over the long haul.


Do you have the solo memorized? Play it in all the keys. That’s most important. That solo is a bebop text book.


What’s up with the duet?


I think it’s totally cool that you’re thinking up your own technical exercises. Save it all! Who knows might make a great book!! Isn’t this a great way to build your technique? you’ll get good at figuring out your technical problems and solving them!


Keep at it and post some mp3s for me and everyone else to listen to.


When you’re ready you should post a notice of the blog on thevibe.net, right?


cu

3 comments:

Tjaco Oostdijk said...

Yeah, I thought that would had to be a D7 chord. This really is a great solo! I have it memorized. I´m actually not writing anything down untill I can play it along with the record and then when I get home I write it down from my memory. That is probably the best way, I think.
I´m workin on the duet. So that´s coming soon. Should I post that here also, Tony?
Ok, next day coming now...

Tony said...

Yeah, I don't people peeking in. Let's post everything. I would love to see lots of other people adding CONSTRUCTIVE and CRITICAL thoughts.

either we go 100% or don't do it right? it could be win win. maybe you'll learn from others, others will learn from us and i'll get a few more students from around the world! that's cool with me.

Tjaco Oostdijk said...

Right on! I'll post everything on here! Even if I think it's not worthy to let other people hear it, ok? But hey, I'm learning so why not let people in on it and see what they think. Maybe other students will join in on some things.
Maybe we could even get the tune podcast fired up again...?