Sunday, July 29, 2007

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Today I had a f$#cking bad technique day!!! Somehow I just kept on hitting wrong notes and my sticks bumped into each other the whole time... THAT SUCKS
So after a half hour of trying to play some scales I decided to leave the technique stuff for today and figured I was just gonna play...

So I played solo on Don't Get Around for 3 hours. And this was actually very helpfull. Just practicing lines on the different chords for a while whithout keeping the time going and after that I started playing at a slow tempo(half note=50 bpm).

A lot of the time I tend to play too fast, I listen a lot to milt playing and i really want to get his stuff down so somtimes I go crazy and play too much and it makes no sense... I figured that I don't have the speed of thinking to play like that in fast tempo's yet. So I'll try to keep practicing soloing in slow motion, right?

1 comment:

Tony said...

yo,
i think what's cool is you are obsessive about all this. that's great! that will KEEP you practicing. the other cool thing is that you know when to stop. which you did. just go on to something else and come back that ALWAYS makes things better. you were maxed out for what ever reason.

hitting the right notes is about focus and if your focus is off then you'll start bending your resonators (if you know what i mean).

the other trick is to slow down until you get it right. then that's where you're at at that moment. stay there and work back up.

it's amazing how many students don't know the power of slowing things down. not saying you don't, just saying lots of THEM don't!!!