Sunday, July 29, 2007

new tunes for the coming week?

Hey Tony,

Do you have some suggestions for 2 new tunes to work on the coming week. Maybe we could also do Green Dolphin Street. I'm working on your etude, but maybe I should also play the song aside of that? I have a version by milt with the Oscar Peterson Trio, maybe I could also check his solo?

So we could do that and maybe another tune?

Also, I've had this idea many times but didn't do anything with it... Is it a good idea to practice technique but base every technique exercise on the tunes I'm currently working on? Now what I mean. So if I practice scales, I'll practice the scales that are in the tunes and maybe also make up some 4-mallet exercises on the changes of the tunes I'm studying. Now what I mean? Let me know what you think?

1 comment:

Tony said...

don't go nuts with the tunes.

1. pick tunes that you have on cd.
2. learn them off the cd. make you memory recall based on sound not your eyes.
3. learn the words. something i haven't done a lot of but believe that's a great way to learn tunes. now you know the melody, the chords AND THE story.
4. transpose the tunes into other keys. this is a magic potient.
5. listen to the song a lot.
6. make a cd of songs you're working on and play them when you're driving. if you have an ipod make a playlist

don't go nuts with technique and making everything around the tune. some of that will help too much will kill 'the mood'.