Friday, July 27, 2007

Taking Care of Business

Check out bar 3 of the solo. Notice it’s an A7 and Milt plays a G#. Well I have a way I think about all that, I call it ‘Taking Care of Business’.


So Milt hits a G# then an E and then a G. Can you see that that’s only a chromatic passing tone? G# to G. You can do just about anything you want as long as you ‘take care of business’.


But here’s the important thing! Milt’s using his ears to ‘take care of business’. It’s not a rule in his head it’s the line. You have to hear your lines like that so you ‘take care of business’.


Make sense? Licks like that are great to work with because they’ll train your ear to take care of business!

2 comments:

Tjaco Oostdijk said...

Yeah, when I figured out the line I noticed that note to be strange on the chord... But when you see it in the line it's clear that it's a passing tone. Milt does a lot of stuff like this. He often plays lines that sound good, but when you analise them they seem to go against the chord... Well let's see if I can find more examples of this...

Tony said...

To me that's the magic of music. We forget that just because you stop playing a note, that doesn't mean the notes gone.